‘Don’t describe light to a person, who has never seen it before. Light a match instead and he will understand’ – this is one of the most frequently referred sayings when it comes to elaborating the advantage of visual presentation over mere wordy narrative. In the domain of online marketing, using the right image is receiving increasing importance, not only for engaging visitors with the content but also for quality link building and social recognition.
In the post anti-spam algorithm update (Panda and Penguin) era, link building is considered as an extinct process to improve the SERP of a website. Many webmasters and SEOs have also developed the impression that getting links to the website from other sources is viewed by Google as an essentially malicious practice and is condemned strictly. While such interpretations are only partially true, Google actually continues to prefer quality backlink development. Along with high quality content, inclusion of the appropriate image makes quality link building successful and in consequence helps in providing the brand/company with better social recognition.
How Do Images Help in Link Building Naturally?
- Selecting the right image for content not only increases its authenticity but also gives an immediate impression about what the service is about or how it may benefit potential users.
- Connecting a relevant site back to yours via an image link is more effective than text links
- Using relevant image backlinks within the content widens the way to attract more links naturally
- Inclusion of the right image is a great way to build customer engagement, attract comments and expand the scope of link building naturally
- Images that appear in the ‘Image Search’ results help in increasing not only traffic to the website but also increases the chance of social network sharing, attracting links, even conversion
- Using interactive images and infographic draws more users’ attention and also increases the possibility of receiving backlinks from other relevant sites, naturally
How Do Images Help in Social Recognition?
- Using contextual and interactive image in your website content means better customer engagement; more your targeted audience will appreciate the information published in your website, more they will share it over social networking websites.
- Pinterest and Instagram are the two most widely known photo sharing social network sites that give you the gateway to promote your website over social media, with specific attention to the picture you have included in the content. The recent survey reports are suggesting that Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn updates with pictures receive twice more attention than those without any imagistic attribute. In addition, another recent survey has exposed the surprising data that a pin (Pinterest) is capable of increasing the possibility of conversion up to 25%.
- Social media share of the picture along with content is an excellent medium to understand the extent, to which potential customers prefer your updates. At the same time, you also get a comprehensive impression about how successful has your company been in developing its identity as a brand through customer engagement.
Tips on Choosing and Publishing the Right Image:
- Choose Images that are Interactive and Make Users Smile: Based on the context and seriousness of the topic you should select an image, which is interactive. To save your readers from the monotony of going through the content, make it a point to insert satirical or smile provoking images at the right juncture. Also, avoid including images that are extra rude, explicit and capable of offending a reader.
- Quality of the Image: Quality of the image you are planning to use should be given proper attention as the fuzzy ones completely oppose the goal of customer engagement.
- Image sums up your Point: Make sure to use such images within the content that they sum up what you are trying to describe through worlds. Pictures that don’t address the topic clearly, hardly draw attention from potential customers.
- Publishing Guidelines: It is very important that you adhere to the terms and conditions on image publishing guidelines from Google, provided you don’t want the content getting penalized under plagiarism charges.
- Selection of ‘Alt Text’: Keep it simple, to-the-point, and image oriented while selecting the ‘Alt Text’ for an image. In this way, the selected image receives a better chance to appear on image as well as web search results.
The Final Evaluation:
The correct fusion of image and content is the most convincing tool when it comes to drawing immediate attention of potential customers to your website. In turn, you also receive a better window of opportunity for brand building, customer engagement that in turn, benefits natural link building and social recognition. In the modern day of web promotion, content is not just what you write or present through words. It has become a comprehensive entity that without appropriate visual appeal, cannot become effective as per the expectations. So, consider the above-mentioned points carefully before you select the next image for your content. Proper execution of this method will help you creating a separate identity for your website and will attract traffic.
Latest posts by Darpan Ghosh (see all)
- Steps that Google Should Master to Win the Battle of Cloud - April 11, 2014
- The Benefits of Cloud In Social Marketing and Management - March 4, 2014
- 5 Social Networks That You May Not Be Using Yet For Driving Quality Traffic - January 31, 2014