With every step of IT development, challenges keep on intensifying. Information Technology, since its inception has come a long way, evolving from the mainframes to the desktop computer age to the modern mobility era that has even supported a broad spectrum of business activities. With time, a considerable number of individuals and business processes are traced as well as automated but IT is yet to come into the grips of a strange fad. That is the innovation line, previously held firmly within the territory of business technology but has now eventually moved into the consumer’s world.
Prolific use of consumer devices and similar on-demand benefits for successful accomplishment of business tasks has led to the rise of the concept of ‘Consumerization of IT’. The modern day consumers are extremely tech-savvy who find it convenient using the several mobile devices on their move. The subsequent surge of consumer-centric innovation is happening within the domain of mobility where mobile applications are allowing immediate access to applications, information and services. All these innovations are putting a potent question to most of the business concerns- “To what extent is mobility important to a business?”
Majority of the IT companies are finding themselves encircled by a host of consumer technologies, shoving their way in. IT is enclosed by an assortment of technologies that wasn’t meant for the social, flexible, thoroughly distributed and mobile way that we are accustomed working with. There is no way that IT can resist from consumerization, but to augment it to provide easy usability, intimacy and immediacy of consumer technology.
Impact of mobility on Information Technology:
Looking at the driving forces of consumerization and thinking about the innovations of mobility, it clearly brings out all the essential trends while raises the potent issues. Mobility has led to advances in devices, wireless networks and applications. In case an IT department determines to adapt to the various methods and alterations of mobility, the business will become consumerized and reap immense benefits and profit. But the road to an entirely consumerized mobile world from the present scenario of IT is a prolonged trip. To realize the value and benefits of mobility, a number of issues need to be addressed. The most important issue perhaps, is the end of the IT monopoly. Now, users are free to select their devices, install suitable applications and work accordingly as and when required.
When generically considered, it has numerous benefits but this freedom too has its own risks. Bringing back the control of monopoly is just not the solution. A wide range of preventions are required to ascertain security while enabling the technology of mobility to improve performance and productivity. An alarming concern is associated with mobility that is the company data flowing across various mobile applications and devices, most of which are not created to meet the standards of the enterprise. It becomes pretty tough to support mobility on one hand, keeping all company data safe and secure on the other-that calls for new and improved approaches.
Superior quality user experience should be ensured for both consumers and employees, absolutely changing the way applications are built. Everything, that is not possible on a website or on a desktop application, must run on a mobile device with a consistent and appealing user experience. Mobility is capable of changing business processes since various types of tasks are shared among locations and people suiting to individual needs and requirements. Certainly, such changes occurring to the business processes may prove to be the biggest impact of mobility, representing a major challenge to the business process design and also to the existing application structures. To tackle these challenges, IT has to be handled differently. Even though the basic goals of security, reliability and speedy accessibility to the best computing links stays the same, new and improved skills, technologies, and processes are also desirable. Fresh approaches to IT service management, enhanced methods of managing devices along with new ideas of creating applications do depict a point of reference for a long journey.
The development story of Mobile Telecommunications Technology:
Many people would like to know about the development story of the Mobile Telecommunications Technology. The technology of mobility operates through 3 layers- devices, applications and networks. Each of the layers have been meticulously planned, innovated and progressed in the past decade. In the field of networking, wireless LAN’s, WAN’s and personal area networks have all led to the formation of a flawless IP network offering superlative ubiquitous connectivity. Mobile devices have progressed in mobile user interfaces, OS technology, processors, displays, and a wide range of latest features like HD and HDMI video recording. Similarly, mobile applications too have evolved from the basic calculators and scratchpads to media players and PDA’s. They are powerful serving as rich getaways to several cloud applications.
- Conversion of all wireless networks is possible now. However, wired infrastructure must be chalked out based on the depreciation of assets.
- Latest innovation like NFC or Near Field communications is paying off well like its previous counterparts like Bluetooth and RFID. The NFC devices are already put to promotional use in France in public transit.
Creation of a mobility strategy:
There is a clear difference between the two facts- developing a mobile strategy focusing on a specific technology that is a detailed reference for employees to find the right platforms, applications and devices. The second one is a typical corporate mobility strategy that assesses how stakeholders get affected due to the use of mobility. To track and attract customers to the fullest, it is important to prepare an agenda that best explains ‘a customer’s mobility voice’. This will help in analyzing where mobility proves to be most beneficial. Those enterprises wanting to set themselves apart in the crowd of millions can enhance customer-life in a substantial way.
- The roles and responsibilities of an organization are bound to change with the entry of mobility. But the goal should be to assist employees in optimizing the way of using mobile technology in association with other applications augmenting the ROI of the company.
- Mobility technology decision is not a one-sided matter. The partner eco-system and customers has a vital role to play where the organization cannot impose a dictatorship on the use of mobility.
Extensive impact of mobility on the Enterprise IT:
The biggest impact of mobility is the way it actually transforms an entire business setting. In the initial stage, mobility is essentially treated as a zing to enhance enterprise processes, making information and applications available more widely. But the benefit of mobility can only be achieved only if it is deeply and systematically analyzed. The system of information technology comprises layers like information, applications and technology infrastructure. Every layer is utilized by various stakeholders, right from vendors, to customers, to suppliers, partners, staffs and executives of the company. Proper and accurate incorporation of all these levels require a holistic approach of mobility.
- Be careful about the users while selecting between rich clients, thin clients along with on-device applications for providing tailored solution to the end users.
- An enterprise app store has all the latest app versions that keep the users informed about the same.
Impact of mobility in the Banking sector:
One of the potential industries is the banking sector where mobility can be applied successfully. Along with their conventional segmentation factors, on the basis of banking transaction process, mobile customers can be categorized as offline branch customers, online tech-savvy customers and highly mobile unbanked Generation next customers. Each of these segmentations has inherent requirements that the banks must address by utilizing prompt business processes focusing on the user’s comfort level and requirements with the technology.
- In order to attract maximum customers, targeted strategies starting from automated to customized wealth management advisories to virtual banking and location based services with cross selling opportunities.
- Leaving behind the simple and traditional banking based services; banks are too utilizing latest technologies like NFC to offer innovative services.
Impact of mobility in the Insurance sector:
The impact of mobility in life insurance, casualty and property could be gauged through the detailed analysis of the insurance value chain which is ready for optimization and redesigning using mobile devices. The various possibilities of telematics applications are assessed with particular suggestions in relevance to marketing, product development, new undertakings and businesses, distribution, account services and management as well as claims.
- Insurance agents can be mobilized helping the companies to rapidly reach new target segments. Agents having full access to information round the clock will only enhance customer experience.
- By assigning more tasks to insurance agents and improving the self service options, insurers can enhance operational efficiencies and lower down customer service calls.
Impact of mobility in the Manufacturing industry:
More and more manufacturing enterprises are foraying their way into mobility for maintaining excellence in their operations. Right from the stage of purchasing to execution to reaching on the store floor, mobile devices are rapidly turning as standard instrument which is incorporated in all critical business processes.
- Broad use of mobility within the manufacturing workplace is soon going to compel enterprises to re-consider some of the technology policies to adapt to this trend.
- A closer evaluation at the manufacturing value chain is indeed essential to analyze where the scope of mobility can be best applied.
Impact of mobility in the Retail industry:
Presently, the retail industry is dominated by the enterprise mobility concept. Mobile technology is clearly transforming the landscape of retail in many ways that wasn’t seen till the rise of e-commerce. Whether it is to accurately predict any customer behavior or to tackle with a global or extended supply chain, mobility has become the need of the hour. Moreover, all business demands for positive customer feedbacks which is the key to all success.
- Mobile retailing should be treated as a complimentary strategy rather than a differentiator.
- Security is one of the major issues as far as mobile retailing is concerned. No customers will shop if there is any risk of leakage of their personal details.
- Retailers should perceive mobility in the form of a unified customer engagement platform.
The ever evolving scenario of the mobility technology:
Going by the example set by the senior analyst of Gartner, we can get a clearer view of the present day business market along with the areas most impacted by mobility. Mobile payments, an area where technology was all set to show its innovation, has failed to succeed in many parts of the world. This is due to lack of co-ordination among the key market players. The research group predicts that by 2015, mobile payments will be seen operating in the mainstream. Growth of mobile technology in other areas seemed as uneven and organic to Gartner. Traditional devices like cars and refrigerators will be integrating chips with mobile communications abilities whereas smart devices like smartphones and other mobile devices will act as remote control that can be tracked, remotely started and even monitored over the online medium.
Garnering the maximum mobility value:
Every industry has to face unique and complex challenges with end results almost the same across the enterprises. Companies strive hard in order to achieve maximum revenue and superior customer service. The concept of mobile technology or enterprise mobility is undoubtedly a compelling discussion matter. To many people this may even seem truly ripe for adoption. Increasingly, more and more businesses are adapting to various mobility technologies and tools to allow their workforce to communicate, collaborate and work efficiently to cater to a wide market segment.
Latest posts by Irina Mukherjee (see all)
- Demands For The Reduction Of Prices Hurts Indian IT Industry - July 18, 2012
- IBM Enhances Mobile Security with New Application - June 13, 2012
- BlackBerry lost its glory to iPhone and Android - March 28, 2012